Jul 21, 2013

Marvel's Comic-Con announcement leaves me with questions

I'm going to drop in a spoiler alert here but if you haven't seen "The Avengers" by now I don't know what the hell you're waiting for. So here goes: SPOILER ALERT: You have been warned.

At the end of "The Avengers" there was a neat little ditty that seemed to suggest in no uncertain terms that Thanos would be the next opponent for the world's mightiest heroes. But with Marvel's Comic-Con announcement this past weekend that the sequel would be titled "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" the ultimate cinematic fate of the Mad Titan has, for me anyway, been thrown into question. Does the Ultron storyline rule out Thanos? Was that enormous tease at the end of "Avengers" just that: an enormous tease? Since Whedon has said the Ultron storyline will divert from published materials does that leave the door open for Thanos' involvement?

As reported over at Comicbookmovie a few months back Thanos creator Jim Starlin backtracked from previous statements he'd made that Thanos would indeed be appearing in A2:

“Setting the record straight: It keeps getting reported that I claimed that Thanos will be in both the upcoming Guardians of the Universe [sic] and Avengers II movies. Sort of true but not really. All I said, in some interview way back when, was that I had heard (as in convention scuttlebutt) that the Titan would be in both movies. I have absolutely nothing to do with Marvel films and not all that much with Marvel Comics. So I am no reliable source to quote on anything to do with what’s happening in any future Marvel film.”

So was Starlin's statement the first act in Marvel's attempt to wipe that post credit scene from our collective memory? I didn't think too much of what he said at the time but now it's beginning to look that was the case. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Just as a refresher here is that post-credit scene from "The Avengers".


No comments:

Post a Comment