Aug 23, 2013

Ben Affleck as Batman? Really?

OPINION: At the risk of generating a flurry of correspondences whose main argument is what a "hater" I am I have just one thing to say about the announcement that Ben Affleck will be playing Batman opposite Henry Cavill's Superman: I hate this idea.

That's not to say I hate Mr Affleck. I've never met the guy and for all I know he's a champion human being. I also really liked "The Town" and congratulate Benjamin on developing into a top-notch director. However, Ben Affleck as Batman is one of the worst, if not the worst, casting decision since Sophia Coppola in "Godfather Part III". Affleck simply doesn't possess the complex, alternately charming/menacing persona the part requires. When he's trying to look tough he looks like he's trying to look tough and he never seems all the comfy around the ladies either; a big problem if you're trying to portray a billionaire playboy.

No Ben Affleck should continue to cultivate his directing career and DC et al should announce it was all a really early (or really late) April fool's joke and that they'll have an actual announcement next month or something. Then everyone can go back to looking forward to the upcoming Batman/Superman movie instead of erasing it from their 'must see' list for 2015.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment