May 5, 2012

James Cameron: "I’m not interested in developing anything"

While in Peking recently (I'll call it Bejing when they hold an election) James Cameron sat down for an interview with the New York Times and The Economist. He talked about a number of issues but maybe most surprisingly stated...

"Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. ...anything I can’t say in that area (Avatar sequels), I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing."


This is bad news for anyone (like myself) who has been waiting anxiously for the past several years for any news regarding "Battle Angel Alita", one of those properties Cameron talked about for a long time but is apparently no longer interested in. He's going to do "Avatar" and documentaries and that's it. Okay James, if you say so. But (and this is me getting editorial) I'd like to state for the record that, like most people, I've never seen one of your documentaries and don't plan on doing so any time soon. Also, by the time you actually get around to releasing the Avatar sequels going to see one will be more of a nostalgic thing than an actual movie experience.

He had one more disturbing thing to say before the interview was over. When asked about Chinese censorship he stated...

"I can’t be judgmental about another culture’s process. I don’t think that’s healthy."

Au contraire James. It's not only healthy, its essential, especially for anyone who dares call himself an artist. You don't have to be overt in your criticism or set out to make anti-regime propaganda but you must keep all creative and expressive options on the table. If part of your film makes the unelected squirm in their (knock-off) Depends then so be it. Once you start editing yourself to appease tyrants you're lost as a creative entity. But hey, it's your call.

Anyone who wishes may read the entire interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment